RE: filmscanners: image samples of digital artifacts

Hi, Dan--

That looks like "Posterization" to me (at least, tha's whut ah calls it! :-)
--cf definitions (-:|:-) ). I'd say it's probably a result (in this case,
anyway) of pushing the sizing and JPEG compression too far. A good reference
is Larry Berman's Compression Comparisons (BermanGraphics--You can look it
up--I can't access the URL without losing my link on this service).

No, it's not "jaggies." Jaggies are usually those obvious "stair-steps" you
sometimes see on contrasty diagonals in the picture, a result of not enough
anti-aliasing or too few colors (posterization is also a result of too few
colors). Rob G, OTOH has all sorts of dagger-shaped "jaggies" produced by
his LS30 stepper and/or software. Here again, same term, different visual
appearance.

Best reagards--LRA