RE: T400CN was filmscanners: Grain, Noise, et al

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Tony Sleep
Sent: 17 July 2001 23:33
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: T400CN was filmscanners: Grain, Noise, et al

Tony,

What speed do you rate your T400CN ? I have just finished testing XP2 rated
400 -> 50 ASA. The grain aliasing improves down to 100 ASA but so does the
negative density. Densities for Zone I/V/VII were as follows :

400 - 0.66/0.75/1.20
200 - 0.15/0.93/1.44
100 - 0.24/1.11/1.44
 50 - 0.51/1.28/1.53

The 200 ASA test images scanned well with Vuescan both with the XP2 setting
and RGB generic negative setting. The latter by the way gave a green tone
negative with most 'grain' in the red and blue channels.

Steve Chambers (UK)

Yup, it is amazing film, and I have had experienced Art Eds query whether
shots done on 35mm T400CN were medium format.

Vuesmart's B&W setting for 400CN works well. Or you can scan at 16bit RGB
and convert to grayscale later in PS.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info