Re: filmscanners: Nikon MF LED light source...

HP does make service manuals for many of their products, but they are
very costly.  Very few companies want non-"professional" service
providers buying these things, so they make them too expensive to be
worthwhile owning if you are only repairing "one ofs".

I think there are a mixture of issues involved.  One is protecting their
designs from the average Joe.  Another is protecting the service
companies from having "just anyone" doing their own repairs.  Third is
limiting liability; some of this stuff is dangerous to work on without
proper equipment and or training and knowledge.  If they provided Joe
six-pack with a manual it would be implying Joe sixpack could safely
dismantle and repair the unit without electrocuting themselves or having
their hand cut off, or placing a toxic waste spill in their living room.

These companies also do not want to sell spare parts to individuals, and
many times even the repair shops have to replace large modules because
the more detailed service of these modules or rebuilding in only done
"at factory".  Sometimes special tools, rigs, or even computer
interfaces
are needed to diagnose problems or recalibrate after repair or
dismantling.

Example: Ensoniq (now owned by Creative) used to make sampling
synthesizers.  In order to protect their designs, the service depots
only got very basic manuals which explained how to replace components
like motherboards, or amplifier sections, or keyboards units, and
included a specially designed interface which plugged into the expansion
port to test the units out.  If you found a bad board, you ordered a new
(or rebuilt) one, and replaced it, and got credit toward the old one
when you turned it in.

Art