Re: filmscanners: Which Buggy Software?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:45:56 -0400  rafeb (rafeb@channel1.com) wrote:

> I've been making scans in 24-bit color for years, on
> about 3 or 4 different film scanners.  I don't use
> the 48-bit color mode, ever, even on the 8000.
>
> No posterization.  I suspect there's another reason
> for the posterization you're seeing.

IME of Nikonscan (not 3,3.1 admittedly), it is very easy to produce
posterisation during scanning, by anything more than minor adjustments to
scanner controls, especially gamma. It seemed to only work with 8 bits,
the 10bit values being downsampled before Nikonscan gets a look at the
data.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner