Re: filmscanners: Getting started question

"Frank Nichols" <frank@theNichols.net> wrote:
> I am just starting out with both photography and scanning. I am on a very
> limited budget, so I am using my wife's Canon EOS Rebel 2000 and an Acer
> Scanwit 2720s.
[snip]
> 1. Should I be using cheap film/processing during this learning phase or
is
> this a bad thing which will cause me to develop bad habits?

I don't think it would result in bad habits, but you'll get disappointing
results.

> 2.Should I be sticking to a single film and learning how to use it and
then
> moving on to other etc.?

If I wanted to shoot a bunch of film and get some photos to scan, I'd buy
some bulk packs of Fuji Superia 100 print film from a supermarket or
camera shop, and take them to a lab that agreed to process and sleeve
them without printing.  I've had labs in the past only develop and sleeve
film for me for a really low price. Here in Australia I can buy Fuji 100 in
packs of three rolls of 24 frames for US$5.  Dev only is about US$3.

Fuji Superia 100 is close to as good as print film gets for scanning
purposes
and its cheap.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.