Re: filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I'm looking over my Nikon lens chart here, which is admittedly a bit
> outdated, but other than some very wide lenses (13mm, 15mm, 18mm, 20mm
> and a fast 24mm) one 200mm, one 300 mm ED and one 105mm micro, no fixed
> focus Nikon lens has more than single digit number of elements.
> However, almost every zoom lens has more than 10 elements, and up to 20
> (a 360-1200mm ED lens)

I don't pretend to understand lens design,
and must admit that the number of lenses
and lens-groups in the 8000 ED scanner
lens seems.. er.. rather large, on first
blush.

Perhaps an optics expert would care to
comment.

I'll hazard a guess that larger film
formats require extra optical trickery to
maintain focus across the entire film
plane -- particularly where wide apertures
are a factor.

IOW, it may not be valid in this case
to use a Nikon lens chart as a reference.
If there were a comparable Mamiya or
Hasselblad chart (for wide-aperture
lenses, 6x6 film format) that would be
more revealing, maybe.

In any case, the discussion is perhaps
a bit academic.  Lawrence Smith's sample
scans from 2-3 days ago show that the
Nikon 8000 ED is no slouch in terms of image
sharpness.  Seems like we're all trying to
2nd-guess Nikon's optics engineers here.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.