Re: filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

Art wrote:

>It seems to me for some reason that most of the newer medium format
>scanners manufacturers decided to forego the zoom lens approach
>that Minolta has and continues to use with their Multi models,
>and just basically use the same optics for all the film formats.

I seem to be missing something, here. All my scanners have "zoom"
capability, but on the screen, only--they can make the image bigger, just as
I can with my own imaging software. Can a scanner actually enlarge an area
with an enlarging lens? Well, why not--I can do it with a loupe, can't I?

So let's say I select a 1/4" x 1/4" section of a slide that would normally
be scanned at 2400ppi on my Scanwit--if a 2x scanning lens were available,
would this then appear like a 1/2" x 1/2" section of the slide, at 2400ppi?
Given this, it would seem that the resolution of the section would become
4800ppi.

Somehow, I don't see this as likely, tempering it with a bit of skepticism
for mfgr specs. Can a 4000ppi scanner in fact boost its effective scanning
resolution to 8000ppi, or did it boost it to 4000 in the first place with a
magnifying lens, from which point it cannot improve?  Inquiring minds seem
to want to know. :-)

Best regards--LRA