Re: filmscanners: Scanner calibration for old dyes!

Andrea,

The calibrated auto correction will try to match the chrome for color
in whatever state it's in, but it sets the end points (contrast) for a
"good" black and white.  My guess is you're getting scans that are too
contrasty to correct.  You can put contrast in, but if you take it out
you lose so much image detail the image just looks wrong no matter
what you do.  So I would try scanning with the custom IT-8 profile for
color, but include the edge of the mount in the scan area and the
black point should set on that.  Hopefully this will give an
approximation of the original.  Then import the scan into Photoshop
(use a hi-bit scan) and put the chrome on a 5000K light box and work
toward an exact match with curves etc.  A hardware calibrated monitor
will probably help a lot in this situation.  AFAIK there is nothing
you can do beyond trying to get a fairly flat and "raw" scan into
Photoshop to work on because different films fades individually.  With
practice you may even get relatively fast -- relative to real slow
that is....  :)

Dave