RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED

Re Lawrence's test scans...

At last a direct comparison!  Thank you Lawrence - excellent comparison
scans considering it is your first day.

The things I guess we are looking for are sharpness, focus, and shadow and
highlight detail - I don't think you can really draw any conclusions about
contrast or colour from such a test.  Both of these are so affected by how
you set up the scanner, and both can in any case be adjusted within  a wide
range by PS.

To me - the Nikon clearly wins on sharpness, but the label you show (is it
at 1:1?) is in the center of the image - I'd like to see a full 4000dpi
crop from the image corners.

What size is the neg?

It seems that there is some kind of grain visible on the 120 more than the
4000 (label crop), but this depends on if it is a full-res crop.  If so
that surprises me.   But it may be texture on the label, in which case it
would make the 120 more successful, unless again that is only because of
its higher contrast setting.

Is it possible to post a Nikon scan but without using the 16x multiscan?  A
single pass comparison might be interesting.

Also a crop of the some of the dark wall behind the flowers might show
something about shadow detail.

As these are set up, the 120 seems to have more shadow detail (from the
bottle reflections), and the 8000 has more highlight detail, but I doubt
this is anything more than settings.

This is the most exciting thing I've seen on this list!  I dream of someone
being in a postilion to do the same thing for the 35mm scanners -  LS4000,
IV, Polaroid and Cannon side by side at the same time....  there must be a
just slightly eccentric millionaire out there who wants to do something
really really worthwhile?

Then again you could just buy me a couple of scanners and I'll do the tests ...

Thanks Lawrence,

Julian

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.