RE: filmscanners: Microtek ArtixScan 4000tf: any opinions?

 I have the Artixscan 4000T SCSI. Everything works well EXCEPT when
"Autofocus for Prescan" is selected in the Options menu. This feature works
for slides but not color negatives. Weird. Anyway, it is really tough
getting any kind of response from Microtek tech support. Emails go
unanswered, so I forwarded a copy of my request for support to Sales, who
then made a request on my behalf. THEN I got two emails asking for more
information, which I sent. No response yet (4 days now), not even an
acknowledgement of something being done. Their tech support telephone lines
always have long hold times on my dime.

 Vuescan multipass multiscanning works with this scanner, though
registration errors give up some sharpness.

 Frustrated, I purchased a Nikon LS4000ED (because I could), and life is
MUCH better now. Overall, I prefer the scan quality of the Nikon to the
Microtek, and careful application of D-ICE doesn't seem to harm the scans
much. It is a feature well worth considering.
Darrell