Re: filmscanners: Film grain vs 2700 DPI scan resolution

At 07:26 PM 6/30/01 -0600, Frank Nichols wrote:

>1. With 200 film, is the grain "large" enough for the 2700 DPI to record it?
>If so could some one describe it (or email me a couple scan clips showing
>examples?)

To answer your question.  Yes.

Frank, the biggest single improvement in my photo
"technique" these last couple of years was giving
up on generic ISO 200 negative films.

I may have stumbled on to that discovery, but the
difference in the scans was huge.  And I made this
discovery (and saw the vast improvement in the scans)
while using a 1950 dpi film scanner (Microtek 35t+).

Try a roll of Fuji Reala or Kodak Royal Gold and see
if you don't agree.  Both are ISO 100.

As I write this, I'm scanning one of my favorite (old)
images to see if the Nikon can improve on earlier scans.
What a pity -- the image is on Kodak Gold 400, and the
grain is just awful.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.