Re: filmscanners: NikonUSA warranty service

Lynn wrote:
> I think the answer, if any OEMs are reading, is that the techs
> need the training, and they need to be "involved," i.e. doing a bit of
> scanning for their own pleasure. An auto mechanic who doesn't drive isn't
> likely to be very reliable.

Or, at the very least, to at least have laid eyes on the product they're
supposed (alleged?) to be supporting! Case in point: the Acer techs who have
never seen a 2740, had no film scanners on their desks (or even in a nearby
lab) in which to reproduce users' problems or to become familiar with the
product, and had no idea what "MiraPhoto" was, let alone "SCSI". And they
freely admitted all of this to me over the phone.

Lynn, your analogy doesn't go far enough. It's more like an auto mechanic
who has never even seen a car, but has read about them in
_Popular_Mechanics_ and feels qualified to diagnose engine problems over the
phone. Next time I have a problem, you can bet I won't bother calling Acer
for help -- I'll post here instead. You can't support users if you haven't
"been there and done that" yourself.

Granted, most hardware companies try a little harder than Acer has. It's
really a shame, because overall my 2740 is a nice piece of hardware for the
price -- but I can't recommend one without lots of qualifications.

--
Todd Radel - thr@schwag.org

SCHWAG.ORG - Where Freaks and Geeks Come Together
http://www.schwag.org/

PGP key available at http://www.schwag.org/~thr/pgpkey.txt

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.