RE: filmscanners: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

Dan wrote:
>The Leica 70-180/2.8R is actually as good as,
>or better than, most single focal length lenses throughout its range.

I don't have the camera or the money to test it, so I'll accept your good
word that the lens is what you say it is. I don't even know for sure if a
180-tele to fit my T-mount Pentax exists. Nor would that matter for the
millions of photgraphers who don't have Leicas or Asahis. We were discussing
"compromises," and your 70-180 will *not* sub in for a 1000mm tele when
shooting lions or whatever, even with extenders.

The Leica and its lensatics are excellent, and no one is arguing that point.
There is no "One Size Fits All" in cameras, in spite of what Kodak says, and
as a *general* rule, a fixed focus, special-use tele lens will be superior
to an--or at least *most--zoom lenses. But the prime rule is still, "Getting
the Shot."

Best regards--LRA