Re: filmscanners: Digital vs Conventional Chemical Darkroom

From: Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com>

>  >> I may be jumping into water over my head here, but I don't
> understand the
>  >> issue. What "differences" are we talking about here? Excellent
output
>  >> can be
>  >> obtained via either procedure. Personally, the only "difference"
that
>  >> seems
>  >> still unresolved (to me, at least) is that of print permanence.
And as
>  >> long as
>  >> great looking results can be obtained from either method, I
would
>  >> choose the
>  >> one with greatest longevity. Is there a consensus among experts?
>  >> (I have been to Wilhelm's site -
>  >> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.htm -
>  >> but he seems to limit his studies to digital.)
>  >> Thank,
>  >> John J.
>

> Oddly, Wilhem is considered the #1 authority on conventional film
and
> print permanence.  He has several books out of the subject.  He has
> since been more interested in digital due to the huge demand for
this
> information.
>
> As far as which will last longer, conventional versus inkjet
output...
> When using most OEM inks and papers, conventional photographic
printing
> is far more stable that inkjet.  However, if you use inks and paper
> types specifically designed for longevity, the digital print *may*
have
> an advantage, which we will not truly know for hundreds of years.
> Wilhem, for instance, identifies Cibachrome type two are having only
> 17-19 year life before fading becomes most a potential issue.  He
gives
> higher points for inks, dyes or emulsion which fade evenly between
their
> colors to maintain neutral greys and blacks.  There are some ink and
> paper types within the inkjet market which claim accelerated aging
with
> fading of over 200 years based upon the relative accuracy of any
> accelerated testing processes.
>
> Art

My personal feeling is Wilhelm is very excited on a personal level
about the recent advent of practical inkjet printing.  I think if you
ask Wilhelm why he's so interested in inkjet printing he will say:  1)
digital photography has the potential for greater accuracy than
analogue;  2) inkjet is the digital printing medium of highest
practicality;  and 3) inkjet printing has considerably greater
prospect for long term stability (with pigments and coated watercolor
papers) than conventional analogue photographic print materials.

He's excited by the fact that for the first time in history there now
exists a practical and accurate color photographic printing process
that can be said to be truly archival.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.