RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Alessandro Pardi wrote:

> Mmh... I think we're talking about different things: the red channel has
> often the best contrast in *color* images, given the high percentage of blue
> (skies, water) and green (grass) in nature, but that's not inherent to the
> scanning process. If we scan B&W film, we should (theoretically) have the
> same information in all of the three channels. I knew the blue channel was
> prone to noise, but softness in the red is a new (and precious) information
> to me. I will still use it when converting from color to B&W, but not when
> scanning B&W.
> (Or am I totally wrong and you mean the red channel has better contrast even
> when scanning B&W? That doesn't show in the images published in John
> Brownlow's site, though, at least not to a significant extent)

I was thinking color images.  Gotta remember
that Austin (more often than not) is scanning
BW negatives.

There is a difference here between the Nikon
scanners (at least the latest generation) and
most others -- specifically, the Nikons
use a 3-line *monochrome* CCD sensor, and
tri-color (RGB) LEDs -- so they don't suffer
from the effects of color filters on the
CCD sensor itself.  Using the Nikon scanner
driver, you can actually instruct the scanner
to use just one of the 3 sensor rows, in
unusual circumstances.  I'm not sure when or
why one would do that, however.  Something
about better image quality, for certain
images with extreme tonal range (???)

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.