filmscanners: LS-30 no index pics

This sounds to me like a software configuration error, which typically
will not be cleared by reinstalling the software. The following
instructions assume you are using Windows -- if you are using a
Macintosh things are different but the concepts are the same. Generally
speaking, a program will save setup information in a small file so that
the next time you use the program it can pick up where you left off,
with the same film type, crop size, and other settings that you used
previously. When you reinstall a program it leaves this file alone, so
you can still use the same settings as before. The problem you have
right now is that you don't like the multi-slide adaptor settings and
you want to clear them to the default (as shipped from the factory)
values.

I am not familiar with NikonScan, so I am going to give you a couple of
things to try. First, see if there is a "Default Settings" button that
will put everything back to the as-shipped-from-factory settings. If
so, use it and see if that clears your problem.

If you do not have success with "Default Settings", or there is no such
button, NikonScan probably has a configuration file, which is usually
stored in the same directory as the program itself.

Close NikonScan because we're going to muck a bit with its mind.

The file probably has the extension .inf, .ini, or .cnf. Take a look
and see if you find a file with one of these extensions, or anything
that suggests "information", "initialization", or "configuration" to
you. The file is usually quite small.

If you find such a file, rename it to something else -- for instance,
if the name is "nikonscan.inf" rename it to something like
"nikonscan.fni". The reason I suggest renaming it is so that if things
turn out badly you can rename it back and get back to where you are
now.

After renaming the file start NikonScan and see whether you get the
index as you expect. If so, you're on your way, but if not we may be in
for a more dangerous way of getting to where you want -- Nikon may keep
the settings in the Registry. I hope not, and won't try to guide you
through that thicket unless you find the previous approaches are of no
help.

Good luck,
  --Dana