Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme(LONG)

  • To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
  • Subject: Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme(LONG)
  • From: "Lynn Allen" <lynn_allen@angelfire.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:39:59 -0400

Maris wrote:
>I take Ed's comment, that the goal is a *custom* base removal for that any
>particular film, and to make the image "look as much like the original scene
>as possible", means making it look like the original as captured by that
>particular film, but not making it look like the original as a generic
>person would see it.  Otherwise, the different mask settings for the
>different films would seem to be spurious.

Conversly, i.e. the other side of the coin, is that one can use "Default" or
"Image" as the original preview scan, and then use any one of the film-type
profiles to alter the appearance of the picture, using the Scan Memory facility
of Vuescan, regardless of what film you happened to be using that day (or in my
case, what film "Whomever" happened to be using). :-)

Seems to me, this gives an artistic photographer a lot more lattitude than just
something here, but I've always thought that artistic expression was always
enhanced by the artist's recognizing the value of "Happy Accident."  Nothing
against "total control" (I envy it), but sometimes the "suprise" is better that
our plans. Not always, of course, but sometimes. :-)

Best regards--LRA

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!