Re: filmscanners: New Nikon performance

<EdHamrick@aol.com> wrote:
> My experience is that scanners with better focus show more dust
> than scanners without good focus.  For instance, take a SprintScan 4000
> and a Nikon LS-4000 and compare the raw scans.  They show exactly
> the same dust spots if you use the same slide on both, and both have
> excellent focus.  If you take the same slide and scan it on almost
> any flatbed, it won't show as much dust, since the dust spots get
> blurred.

The improvement in sharpness going from the Epson Filmscan 2400dpi
scanner to the Nikon LS30 2700dpi scanner was astonishing.  I wonder
if the Nikon focusses more accurately on the *surface* of the film hence
it tends to show surface defects more?  Has anyone tried manually
adjusting the focus a little to see if it's possible to defocus the dust
and scratches without losing too much sharpness in the image?

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.