RE: filmscanners: New Nikon performance

Dave writes ...

> > The old scanners never did have problems with excessive dust
> > and scratches ... that is, no more than any other scanner.
> >
> > shAf  :o)
>
> ... my LS-30 without ICE compared to scans on my Agfa
> T-2500 are quite different in terms of dust and scratches.
> The Nikon "sees" stuff that the Agfa does not,
> quite a bit of "stuff" in fact.

        Be fair! ... is the "extra stuff" the Nikon sees ONLY dust &
scratches?  Derek & I both recognize the problem with Nikons, dust,
scratches and grain being the light source.  Its characteristics may
be something to avoid, or may be a preference.  As we attributed
"soft" and "hard" images in the past to diffused and point source
enlargers, either was a preference.  It is also true, with post-scan
software, it is easier to make a hard image soft, than it is to make a
soft image hard ... but I'll admit removing dust and scratches is a
pain in the _ss!

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.