Re: filmscanners: New Nikon performance

> Dave writes ...
>
> > ... Specifically, I'd like to find out whether scans
> > performed *without* ICE on the new scanners have the
> > same problems with excessive dust and scratches as
> > on the old scanners, ...
>
> The old scanners never did have problems with excessive dust and
> scratches ... that is, no more than any other scanner.
>
> shAf  :o)

Not quite sure how to answer this assertion since it goes against
everything I've read and my own personal experience.... I guess all I
can say is scans on my LS-30 without ICE compared to scans on my Agfa
T-2500 are quite different in terms of dust and scratches.  The Nikon
"sees" stuff that the Agfa does not, quite a bit of "stuff" in fact.
Scans of glass mounted slides are so "freckled" that retouching would
be logistically impractical.  So I do consider this a "problem" in the
context of Kodachrome and B&W, as it sometimes doesn't work well with
ICE.  Or do you disagree with this too?

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.