RE: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme

David,

That is what I believed you would say, and I completely disagree with that
philosophy.  Films have certain characteristics that photographers use
particular films for.  I don't want every film to give me the same results!
People never did this in the darkroom, so why do it in digital?

Just my opinion having been a professional photographer for 20+ years...
Also note, no one ever used film profiles for the Leafscan, which was one of
the most prolific high end scanner used for the past 10 years, nor did they
ever ask for them.  I don't know if they were ever used for any other
scanners, the SS4k was the first one I found that had them, and I didn't
like them.

Austin

> Austin,
> Profiles are used to characterize a scanner/E6 film system into a device
> independent space. There is very little difference in the system response
> for E6 films so one profile per device works well.
> Negatives have several differences, one being the base changes
> form film to
> film and the negative is not the final product the prints is. These
> complications are why there are no "ICC" profiles for negatives. Polaroid
> and others have developed profiles that help characterize various specific
> negative films. Currently we have about 12 negative profiles for the 120
> scanner and more for the SS4000. We have found that these profiles are
> either dead on or unusable in which case you would do a raw scan. We are
> developing a "ring around" profiling scheme where each profile will have
> several related profiles to address common exposure differences.
> All to get better scans quicker.
> David

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.