RE: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme

Austin,
Profiles are used to characterize a scanner/E6 film system into a device
independent space. There is very little difference in the system response
for E6 films so one profile per device works well.
Negatives have several differences, one being the base changes form film to
film and the negative is not the final product the prints is. These
complications are why there are no "ICC" profiles for negatives. Polaroid
and others have developed profiles that help characterize various specific
negative films. Currently we have about 12 negative profiles for the 120
scanner and more for the SS4000. We have found that these profiles are
either dead on or unusable in which case you would do a raw scan. We are
developing a "ring around" profiling scheme where each profile will have
several related profiles to address common exposure differences.
All to get better scans quicker.
David

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.