Re: filmscanners: OT: Monitor compatability

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. wrote:

> I am in the PC world.  My son the film student needs a Mac for film
> editing so I'll get him a Power Mac G4 dual processor.  Any concerns in

Great choice.  The dual-processor really cranks through the video
rendering.  Look around for deals on the G4 450DP for around $1500-1600 as
they have been spotted for around there lately.  I got mine for $1700 from
the Apple site.  warehouse.com has it for $1600 right now with free
additional 128MB RAM.

> monitor compatibility - i.e. can we just pick the monitor and it will
> work or does Apple have some proprietary mechanism limiting my choices?
> In case it matters we're leaning toward the 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro
> 920.

All of the Apple PowerMacs (tower versions, I can't speak for the
others) have had standard 15-pin mini-Dsub 'VGA' connectors since the G3
days.  The timing is not different and no adapter is needed.  I currently
use a PowerMac G4 Dual 450Mhz with a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 100e directly
connected with the standard cable and it works beautifully.

-Collin Ong

p.s. to avoid inquiring emails, yes I work for Intel and yes I use Macs at
home for creative work in photo and video.  no, I am not speaking for
Intel in this posting.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.