Re: filmscanners: open and control

In a message dated 3/6/01 1:50:27 pm, bob.911@btinternet.com writes:

<< I thought I read long ago that there was a patent taken out in England a
short time before the French government bought the rights to the process and
it was the patent that stopped the English using the process.

Was it the French who took out the patent to stop the English using the
process and did the patent apply in Scotland?

Bob Armstrong >>

Dear Bob

All my books are packed away pending a move but I vaguely remember that one
businessman persuaded Daguerre to take out a British patent. This man then
set up a Daguerrotype studio in Holborn in London and made a small fortune
because he had bought the sole licence. I don't know about Scotland.

Studios were widespread throughout France and made a quick fortune. 400
pounds a day was achieved which was a small fortune in the mid 1800s. Some
photographers are not able to charge that now!

Bob Croxford
Cornwall
England

www.atmosphere.co.uk