Re: filmscanners: HP Scanner (was:Fast, decent (if you are lucky), low res sc...

In a message dated 5/30/2001 1:00:54 PM EST, lalle@email.com writes:

> Any ideas on how to *clean* that sucker? I'm not sure I even
>  know what it looks like (although there's a wide white stripe at the top of
>  the scanning unit).

The calibration stripe is usually a wide white stripe near where the
scan head starts a scan, inside the top of the case.

>  This is the kind of stuff that HP ought to be able to provide for very
>  little spent, IMHO. I can certainly see why they can't find people of Ed's
>  caliber for a few bucks above minimum wage, but jeez, HP, TRAIN people!! So
>  what if they go off and work for somebody else? You'll keep enough of 'em
>  make it worth your while, IME, and the smarter they get, the more valuable
>  they'll be as employees. They'll actually Make You Money!

Most flatbed scanners are now cheaper than two hours of a
technician's labor.  It seems wasteful, but like many
mass-produced items, they're often cheaper to throw away
and replace than to repair.

>  Have I gotten totally out of touch with Reality, here, or have the "bean
>  counters" beaten me to it?

The economics of mass production have beaten you to it.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.