Re: filmscanners: OT:Ektachrome E100VS bad?

The problem you describe sounds like retained silver. I have recently
processed a lot of both E100VS and Provia 100F in Kodak Single-use E6 with
no problems. Perhaps you got a bad batch of bleach or maybe had a mixing
error?

I use a Jobo ATL-2 and perform densitometric process monitoring using Fuji
Control Strips. I've been able to get an in-control process with the new E6.
The only modification I had to do was to increase Pre-bleach time from 2 to
3 minutes. I run Fuji and Kodak in the same tank and ignore Jobo's
recommendation to use longer 1st Dev time for Fuji films.

If you use a Jobo or other rotary processor, there is one problem I
discovered early on with this E6. One of the Kodak tech docs (I think the
one specific to rotary processing) has an incorrect minimum volume
requirement per roll of film. It states 235ml/ 2 rolls 135-36 or 120. The
other tech doc states 278ml/ 2 rolls, or 139ml/roll. This means that you
can't process a full Jobo 1500 tank at the minimum required for the tank.
With the old 1 gallon E6, I could run 8 rolls in 1 liter, 125ml/roll. When I
did that with the new stuff, I could not get it in control. Once I found the
discrepency, I began doing 7 rolls in the 8-roll tank using a liter ( I put
a single control strip on reel 8 to monitor.) No problems! I now just make
sure I have at least 140ml/roll.

As for grain and color, VS is more saturated and grainier than Provia 100F.
I use the former now as a faster Velvia substitute. Hope this helps...

Lloyd