filmscanners: FW: Shadow detail & LS-4000

First, apologies if I've messed up posting to the list. I subscribed a while
ago and have just been reading. Looking back at the intro message sent to
me, there isn't a note on actually posting to the list.

My question is regarding an LS-4000. I'm disappointed with the lack of
shadow detail in my scans. An example is http://www.dingoboy.com/bad.jpg.
This jpeg is a crop of a larger image, direct from the scanner before any
changes were made. It's not a wonderful photo but in the slide, there is
good shadow detail on the tree on the left side of the frame. In the scan,
the tree is just a big black shape. In general, I find that my scans are
very dark. My current workflow is to scan from NikonScan 3.0 (when it
doesn't crash!), then open the image in Photoshop. My understanding is that,
apart from the analog gain command and Digital Ice, the controls in
NikonScan don't change how the scan is made but just modify the results.
Photoshop's Levels command helps somewhat but often, there's just no details
in the shadows.

Suggestions? Am I just being unrealistic in my expectations?

Regards,
Fergus Hammond
Adobe Systems Inc.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.