RE: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

>For art you don't need a release as far as I am aware.

You do in the U.S. if the person is recognizable and you do not want to get
sued for invasion of privacy.  If the subject is recognizable and your
artwork defames their reputation and /or character or implies something
untrue or that they find objectionable, you could be open for slander and
defamation legal actions as well in the U.S. and maybe in Canada.

In the US, if you use the art with the subject's image in it for commercial
reasons, for advertising, etc., you might also be open to other types of
legal action.