Re: filmscanners: What causes this and is there any easy solution ?

The projector you have is typical of many of the time period, but I'm
not sure what that time period is. I'm guessing late 1930's to mid
1950's. Some have a metal plate with patent numbers and dates on them if
you look carefully. I used to be able to pick them up for $5 at
Goodwill.  They usually use either a backlight or metal straight line
slide tray, or use none and you had to do a left hand right hand manual
feeding via the contraption that fed the slides.

They usually had no fan, just a black baffle at the top, if that, going
to venting holes) so the bulb would heat up the thing to a very high
level, making it dangerous to touch.  I'm not so sure it was good for
the slides either, although some used a heat absorbing glass between the
lamp and the condenser lens.

I imagine if you keep it long enough it will become a true collectors
item, as I'm sure many have now reached the landfill.  I finally
dismantled several of mine and kept the lenses and condensers and other
interesting parts.  I just ran out of room for them.  I guess with
people like me, the value of yours will go up ;-)

Those older lenses were, as you mention, often better than the current
ones provided with most projectors.  Some were even German made.

Art

Steve Greenbank wrote:

> As mentioned in a previous message the projector does display the grain, but
> there is so little in Velvia that at 40x60 you still have to look hard and
> get within 16 inches to see it. Some slides like early Fujichrome 400 the
> grain is obvious from 15 feet.
>
> The projector is a relic made entirely of steel and cast iron! It's probably
> worth many times it's original purchase value. It was quite old when it was
> given to my Dad. He had it for around 20 years before I appropriated it by
> stealth, as a poor student, 20 years ago.
>
> It was made by Aldis.
>
> The lens is an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100mm.
>
> I have never thought it was stunning, but it was better than the modern
> alternatives I have seen. The one thing that did worry me was it runs
> extremely hot (you can only touch the body for a brief moment before
> burning). But the slide carrier and the lens are on steel rails that allow
> you to move the slide about an inch from the body and in this position the
> slides only get slightly warm and I certainly don't see the slide adjust
> focus as the film bends in the heat- something that I have seen quite often
> on modern projectors.
>
> Steve
>
> PS Can anyone date the projector ? It has a gun metal finish.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.