Re: filmscanners: VueScan Long Exposure Pass

----- Original Message -----
From: <EdHamrick@aol.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: VueScan Long Exposure Pass

> The problem with the Long exposure pass option is that most people won't
> see the problem areas until they've scanned hundreds of slides.

Yes, it would drive you nuts.
> Any area where there's a large bright-dark transition will have problems.
> You might try zooming into the image at this point.

What about a slightly underexposed slide (this can produce a better result
when projected). I assume the long exposure  would help.
> I'm going to remove it in 7.0.17 for this reason - I don't want people
> to waste a lot of time scanning and then realizing their images are
> messed up.
How about an irritating pop-up that explains the problem when you select it.
I just tried it with a slide that's been causing me grief and it appears to
have worked quite well and I can't see any nasty side effects. I admit that
right now I'm not a customer, but having tried in vain to get a decent
result with Silverfast I found Vuescan much better first time.

See:

http://www.greenbank.themutual.net/artixscan4000_noise.htm

I've come to the conclusion I will have to buy Vuescan too. The long
exposure looks quite useful to me in the right circumstances.

> With Minolta scanners, you'll get better results using the single-pass
> multi-scanning feature in VueScan (Device|Number of passes).

I believe some scanners (SS4000/A4000T) do not position themselves too well
for multipass - so this is of limited use. I just tried 8x MP with the
artixscan 4000 and there are echos in the image. The result is pretty
useless.
 > Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.