From: "Dana Trout" <dana@troutcom.com>
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Sent: May 1, 2001 7:13:17 PM GMT
Subject: filmscanners: Exposure in VueScan

Ed, I came across an anomoly that I would like to understand better.

I am using the following equipment:
VueScan 7.0.15
Polaroid SprintScan 4000
Win98 SE

I was scanning a very thin (overexposed) slide with autoexposure turned
ON. I decided to try to eak out a little more detail from the blown-out
highlights and turned autoexposure OFF and noticed that it had set the
exposure to 0.902. I changed the exposure value to 0.75 and got the
same results. I changed the exposure to 0.5 and still got the same
results. However, for any exposure value greater than unity I do see
the brightness increase as the exposure is increased.

It appears that any exposure value less than unity gives the same scan
as an exposure value of unity. Is this expected?

Thanks,
--Dana