Re: filmscanners: Comparison of LS2000 and LS4000

Thanks for this really interesting comparison.  I am impressed by the
roc/gem technology, especially by this example of gem (grain
reduction).  Of course we expected some grain reduction anyway because of
the 4000dpi (which I think the LS4000 scans at even at the lower
resolutions that were used in the examples) and indeed there is some
improvement without GEM.  But gem as well makes this very grainy film look
good!

It is hard to tell from this example how much softening there is - I can
see some apparent softening but this may be fixable with different settings
or a bit of sharpening.

ROC - colour reconstruction - has changed the image a lot.  My guess is
that the original was daylight film with tungsten light in which case ROC
has done an arguably good job.  Now too cool, but I am sure I would find it
easier to adjust for good skin tones from the ROC'd version than the original.

Thanks again for the insight,

Julian

At 05:26 01/05/01, you wrote:
>http://www.starhk.com/peterpen/nikontest.htm
>
>Includes:
>- Sample scans from same frame using LS2000 and LS4000 (not full res)
>- Sample using GEM/ROC
>- Pictures of the LS4000 internals
>- hand measured scan times with various features on/off

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.