Re: filmscanners: Nikonscan3.0 and LSIII

As I have said before, I use NS3.0 with my LS2000 and have had no
problems.  Colour is IMHO better straight out of the box and my other
previous comments are below.  There are quite a few others on this list and
others who are using it too, some with  macs and some pcs.  Mine is a pc,
and I have not had any problems, but then I have not tried setting up
colour management either.  I am pleased with the colour exactly as it is on
my system, for non-critical work.

Nikon USA were non-committal about using the NS3/LS2000 combination; they
just wished me luck.

Julian
---------last post-------------------------
I am using Nikonscan 3.0 with my LS2000. I was doubtful as to whether it
would work with Win98 not SE, but it does, apparently flawlessly touch wood
(apart from same bugs/problems others have noted).

So it seems the only reason Nikon "require" Win98SE is for the firewire
connection.

Ver 3.0 is a great improvement in many ways on 2.5.1, once you get used to
the initially annoying tool palette. As someone else noted, no more blown
highlights, and the histogram is much more accurate at the low end - where
I had constant problems with 2.5.1.

One interesting point - on mine at least the ver 3 ICE produces much more
softening than the ver 2 ICE did. I don't know why this would be so. Using
sharpen helps significantly. I haven't seen jaggies yet, but I haven't
looked hard yet either.

If I activate "curves" the whole thing slows down greatly, which it did not
do under the old version. Another small mystery.

julian

At 02:34 30/04/01, you wrote:
>This site says that you should not use Nikonscan 3.0 with the LS-2000?  Is
>this true?  The site indicates that later versions of Nikonscan 3.0 will
>officially support the LS-2000.
>
>=Steve Caspersen

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.