Re: filmscanners: Lot of newbie questions

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 05:25:26 -0700  Arthur Entlich (artistic@ampsc.com)
wrote:

> > 4. Minolta manual says emulsion side should be up. That way
> >
> > slides come out reversed. Is that really OK?
> >

> It would seem to me that the slides should come out correctly.  If
they
> are reversed, Minolta is out to lunch IMHO.  There should be enough
> depth of field with that unit to avoid focusing problems.  Unless
there
> is a refection problem with one side versus the other, I would scan
so
> it is correctly read.

Yes. This used was an error in the Minolta manual. I am amazed it is
still there, uncorrected, something like 18months later.

> > 5. I've been trying Vuescan and since it seems that consensus
> >
> > on this list is that the best way to use it is to output raw files
> >
> > that's what I've been doing but...
> >
> > ...some of the scans stay very dark no matter what I do in
> >
> > Photoshop (I'm not new to Photoshop-started with v. 2.5.1-
> >
> > but not expert with curves either).
> >
> > Are these slides cases for multipass exposure?
> >

> Slides that manifest darker shadows or underexposure are good
> candidates for multiple expose, in general.

Quite possibly it will just be a matter of setting levels in PS (white
and black points, and gamma via the midtone slider).

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons