Re: filmscanners: OT: talking to children

Laurie Solomon wrote:

> But let us not make this into a mountain out of a mole hill. :-)

I think the idea is to make a molehill out of a mountain.

Being able to speak on a subject that one is knowledgeable on many
different levels, so that children or lay people up to experts can
understand (not all at the same time, necessarily) is a talent and like
many talents, takes training.

It neither makes the speaker more or less knowledgeable or intelligent,
IMHO, simply more accessible.

As someone who prides himself on this ability, I can tell you it takes
both time and effort to develop.  It is a form of translation, not
unlike translating a story or book from one language to another.  It
also means being able to listen to person one is communicating with, and
adjusting ones thoughts and vocabulary to their level of understanding.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.