Re: filmscanners: film scanner software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Sleep" <TonySleep@halftone.co.uk>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: film scanner software

> - SilverFast : designed for heavy-duty production use, without any
> requirement for Photoshop manipulation. If you spend all day every day
> scanning dozens of originals, it makes perfect sense. Consequently
> powerful, hard to learn, and expensive. Fast and good for experts,
> otherwise just plain difficult and confusing.

Silverfast does have good quality data manipulation, but has far as I can
make out you can't set it up to do multiple scans unless you use auto-mode
adjust mode which rather defeats the object. I would hve tought an expert
would want to pre-scan all his images. Tweak them all individually and do
all the final scans while you go do something else. Sadly it doesn't let you
do this unless you use HDR mode for the scanning and then post process the
HDR output files from disk. From what I see not much different to doing all
the processing in PS.

The thing I like best compared to PS is the curves function that easily
allows the manipulation of differnt sections of the curve without having to
click the other part to stop it moving as well.
The colour correction bits are very complex but as I'm using slides and more
importantly colour blind I try not to ever tweak particular colours because
I usually miss the nasty side effects - until someone points to someone and
says "he must been really ill to look that green".

> - Vuescan : replacement for OE scanning softwares, often extending scanner
> capabilities. Strange UI belies a lot of power which works best at getting
> the maximum into the scan rather than finally correcting it, which is
> better done in PS 16 bit mode after approximate VS adjustments.
> Consequently slow 2-stage workflow for is for control freaks, but with
> excellent scan quality potential.

This isn't thst slow if you are simultaneously scanning and processing and
not much different to Silverfast HDR raw scans.

Steve

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.