RE: filmscanners: File format

The difficult part is re-saving the file with the same compression ratio
as it had originally.

Even the mighty Photoshop just uses one compression ratio for all JPEG
file saves. That compression ratio can be set manually , but how do you
ensure it is exactly the same as the original ratio, especially if the
camera saved it originally?

To me, that is the main reason why it is sensible to store a picture you
intend to do anything with in an uncompressed format, irrespective of
whether the original file was a JPEG or not.

laurie@advancenet.net (Laurie Solomon) wrote:

> >Each time there would be some generational loss.
>
> Not necessarily true. If you open and close ( or resave) the compressed
> file
> without changing the compression from one quality level to another in
> the
> case of .jog or without resampling the image prior to closing or
> resaving
> the file, there will be no more degradation than opening and closing or
> resaving a raw uncompressed file.
>
> When you open a compressed file you have uncompressed it, so resaving it
> with the same compression as before or without engaging in any
> resampling
> prior to resaving the file  should not result in any additional losses
> in
> data or quality.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.