RE: filmscanners: JPEG Loss - File format

>So the image DOES degrade with each iteration, whether or not it is
>changed.

Aside from the fact that this does not sound right to me nor has it been my
experience or in the things that I have read on the subject, such
degradation that you suggest in the case in question - if it takes place -
is not all that significant and would not become so until a very large
number of iterations had been gone through.  What one may see with greater
significance and frequency, which I did not explicitly refer to in my
previous comments, is the possible production of visible artifacts of the
compression recompression in terms of color artifacts and the like more than
actual additional loss or distortion of the file data.