Re: filmscanners: Best value sure thing scanner...

Well done, Art - an excellent summary, from what I've read/learnt!

My small addition - I have heard from at least 2 sources (so it might be
true!) that use of the dust-removal function on the Acer 2740S increases
the normal 40 second full-res scan to a couple of minutes!  I gather it
uses a separate, slow IR pass.  I would suggest this should probably rule
it out for that user.

I would also re-iterate that 2720 dpi is fine for slides, but grain
aliasing can be a big issue with neg's, so I think 4000 dpi would be the
way to go.

PS - I actually own the Acer 2720S and really like it, but I don't have a
major dust problem.  (And I actually like 'cloning'.  It's sort of like
meditation...:)

Regards, Mark T.

At 10:19 PM 31/03/01 -0800, you wrote:
>The Acer 2740 with digital ICE is the cheapest option.  It is an
>improvement over the HP both in shadow detail and resolution (CCD chip
>is 2700 dpi).  But it has fixed exposure settings, which seem to not
>allow for the optimum scan result for images that aren't perfectly exposed.
>Hope this gives you something to go on, and other on the list please
>chime in with your own recommendations and experiences.
>
>Art

Mark Thomas   markthom@camtech.net.au
http://www.adelaide.net.au/~markthom

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.