RE: filmscanners:Focusing & film flatness

And so it should!  If the new (and I gather old) 4000 dpi Nikons can't
handle a curved slide, there is no way I would consider them.  I can just
imagine ripping all of my (and my client's) Kodachromes out of their mounts
before I scanned them.  Oh what fun..

When I bought an expensive slide-projector about 10 years ago, I took it
straight back when it gave out of focus edges on curved slides.  After some
argument, they ended up relenting and giving me a much better lens with
sufficient depth of field.  It copes easily with flat and curved slides,
and so does my current scanner, a low end 2720 model.

This is not rocket science..  I think it is a VERY fair criticism of the
Nikon scanner.  If Nikon has chosen a scanning method that doesn't work
well for curved slides, I reckon they have just lost a significant portion
of the market.

Or can someone give me a really easy, quick and painless way of
transferring a piece of film from a glued cardboard mount into a glass
slide????  And, for that matter, a recommendation for glass slides that
REALLY don't suffer from Newton's rings.  My experience is that even those
that are supposedly Newton-proof generally are not.

Mark T

At 07:01 PM 31/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Because of the light source the lens has significant depth of field. You
>need not be concerned.
>David

<snip>

Mark Thomas   markthom@camtech.net.au