RE: filmscanners: File format

>That's right in theory, but I'm not so sure that's what happens in
practice,

Lynn, you are right that the way any given application implements a
compression program (be it .jpg or some other compression program) will
often effect what happens in terms of files sizes, production of artifacts,
and even cross application or plateform portability.

>I've never actually *seen* any differences or degradation, but if the
>numbers aren't the same from one save to another, something must be
>happening.

I think you explained some of it yourself when you said:"E.g. Photoshop will
add about 5-20KB to a saved file from another program, and this I know. It's
probably just embedded Photoshop stuff, but it increases the file size."