Re: filmscanners: Vuescan: "device RGB"

Richard,

 From my reading of info on Vuescan, it does indeed use the PCD
colorspace, and I don't think any violation of anything is occurring.
The color space of PCD could easily include all of the film types you
speak of, regardless of a bias (filter) used during the scanning
process.  Further, Kodak does use a universal "filter" for many of the
films, and often labs only use that filter/calibration, unless
specifically asked otherwise.  But these do not determine color space,
they determine interpretation of the color values within the image.

Regarding ownership of the PCD color space, it would be a bit like
saying Kodak owns the rights to the proper calibration to filter out the
dye base colors on one of their print films, or better yet, that they
own the color red, for instance.  Since all color spaces are a subset of
white light, maybe I'll patent white light and claim ownership of all of
them.

You are wrong about the Kodak Scanner situation as well (they can be
bought outright), and about access to programs that write to PCD format.

What is proprietary is not the scanning process, but the software and
algorithms which create the file packet and the disk formatting.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.