RE: filmscanners: Vuescan: "device RGB"

>       When you say "all the PCD profiles", wouldn't Ed simply be using the
>most appropriate one.  And, wouldn't this one offer a standard model
>for mathematically converting to & from???

They are all different:
pcd4050e.pf for E6
pcd4050k.pf for K-14
pcdcnycc.pf for color negative
pcdekycc.pf for universal E6
pcdkoycc.pf for universal K-14
I can't tell you which one is used where. I have seen both the
"pcd4050e and k" come up. All are Kodak device profiles, and have the
".pf" extension. And, all of them contain text detailing their
*Copyright* information.

The PhotoCD extension, when opening a PhotoCD file uses the trademark
notation, such as IMG0001.PCDÝ .  note the "Ý" after the PCD
extension.

>  > 9. If VS is using some sort of "space" which alters
>  > the RGB values, and then doesn't "tag" the resulting
>  > image - you never know  how much distortion
>  > has been introduced from "real" values.
>
>       After looking into it only a little bit, I came away believing PCD
>RGB is sufficiently large and well defined to be used as an
>intermediate space.  Vuescan does tag the images it exports in a
>variety of working spaces (including ProPhoto and Ektaspace), the only
>offering it doesn't tag is "device RGB" ... and it should be easy to
>see if it is anything remotely resembling sRGB.  I'm quite curious ...
>I would ask VS for an sRGB image, and Ektaspace image, and the "device
>RGB" image.  Depending on which resembled which, as you assigned the
>working space to dRGB with PS6, it should be obvious.

Can't use PCD as a space. It is all device specific, the devices
being Kodak's proprietary authoring scanners, such as the
"Filmscanner 200", a 16 bit scanner, probably leased (but not owned)
by the service provider and (probably) included with the license
contract.

>shAf  :o)
Yes it is large. It will encompass Ekta Space (almost), which is the
definition of E6 Ektachrome media, and thus E6 gamut.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.