RE: filmscanners: Vuescan: "device RGB"

I guess you will have to ask him exactly what he is using.

The discussion was about PhotoCD embedded profiles. Not standard
spaces, such as AdobeRGB. The "Transforms" you can download from
Kodak - ASFICT are profiles, used to open files formatted in PhotoCD
format. For opening files only.  But you cannot open an image which
is tagged in ColorMatchRGB, or AdobeRGB (say - scanned with VS and
selecting one of these spaces), and then convert the *embedded*
profile to PhotoCD profile, and then save to PhotoCD format. Even
PictureCD. Such that when you open the file again, the profile (as
denoted in Photoshop window - at bottom) will say "pcdcnycc","
pcdekycc", "pcd4050e", ", pcd4050k", or about 4 others that start
with "pcd-----". These are the Kodak PhotoCD profiles that are
invoked when you open a PhotoCD file on a disk provided by a licensed
service provider. These files, by definition of the PhotoCD format,
come in at least six resolutions, depending on whether or not the
file is "Pro", "Master", "Picture" - - . But at no time does the
format permit only one saved file - as was implied by another poster.
And, you can't even do this unless you are licensed, and are provided
authoring software included in the license from Kodak.

As mentioned before, the CLUT definitions are proprietary.

And, you can't open a file into "photoCD space", You cannot load any
of the profiles mentioned above as a working "space". If Ed is "doing
this" - somehow - he is not doing this without Kodak's permission,
unless he is licensed and has obtained proprietary authoring
software. But even then, Kodak would take a dim view of anybody
mucking around with their technology, that they invested so heavily
into. They would have to insist that all licensees conform to
standards agreed upon in the licence contract.

>I recall a long time back he said he was deriving some part of his
>film type correction curves or matrix data from film type data from
>Kodak for PhotoCDs.
>
>>9. If VS is using some sort of "space" which alters the RGB values,
>>and then doesn't "tag" the resulting image - you never know how much
>>distortion has been introduced from "real" values. The image comes to
>>you as untagged. If you apply a profile in VS, then the image should
>>come to you as "Tagged", and you should see that (ICC profile) in
>>Photoshop. Without this requirement, or data trail, you are in never
>>never land regarding the fidelity of the original image.
>
>Vuescan has an option to tag files with the selected color space
>profile (except for Device RGB, which according to the help file
>"doesn't embed any ICC profile into the TIFF or JPEG files...").
>The embedded profile is recognized by Photoshop (at least it is in
>my config).  ProPhoto RGB is one of the color spaces Vuescan offers
>for file output.
>
>--
>Bob Shomler
>http://www.shomler.com/gallery.htm