Re: filmscanners: Re:grain

Tony Sleep wrote:

> Yup. I once threw away 5L of very expensive Photoflo 600 (enough to make
>3,000L
> of bubbly water). Photoflo smears unless used at a much lower dilution than
> recommended. But my 5L had been exposed to low temps, and was full of
> crystalline crud. To be fair to Kodak, ISTR the label did warn not to store
>at
> <50degF.

Often chemicals like this, especially if they are fairly non-toxic, can
safely be "reintegrated" by simply using a warm to hot water bath which
you place the bottle into.  Often the lower temperature causes some
component to fall out of solution (crystallize), and can be redissolved
with a bit of warmth.  Remember to remove the cap to allow for expansion
of the liquid and air.

Obviously, some formulations will not reformulate correctly, or may have
changed properties, but it is sometimes worth trying.

Lastly, are you the guy responsible for all the foam found on the lakes
and rivers of England?

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.