Re: filmscanners: Colormatch RGB

FYI the following is a quote by Bruce Fraser to me regarding an
off-list discussion on gamuts - ColorMatchRGB - - sRGB - - :

Per your (Tony Sleep ) comment below on suitability of ColorMatchRGB
for outputting to print:
At 11:04 AM -0700 3/12/01, Bruce Fraser wrote:
>My results have been reviewed and confirmed by many leading color
>geeks, inlcuding Andrew Rodney and CD Tobie on the civilian side, and
>Michael Stokes, the original developer of sRGB, on the other side. I
>don't know of anyone other than yourself who claims that sRGB contains all,
>or even most, of the printable colors of the Epson 1270 or any other
>ink-based device. Michael Stokes himself has freely admitted that
>sRGB is not a good match to printed output -- he never meant it to be.
PS. I never claimed (it was someone else on another list) that sRGB
was good for outputting to print - - . There are good reasons why
ColorMatchRGB is ideal for repro houses (and sRGB is not) and print -
which if you are interested contact me off list.

Now, if the print industry in UK started to use ICC/ICM colormanagement - -

>However if you are loading a Colormatch-tagged scan into <some other> working
>space without doing a conversion, then any amount of weird stuff may happen.
>What happens if you set PS to use Colormatch?
>
>Colourmatch is not much wider than sRGB, but AIUI is the best fit for
>conversion to CMYK for repro, which is why I use it.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Sleep
>http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
>comparisons