RE: filmscanners: OT-ish Epson 1270, was Repro house..

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:45:20 +1000  Rob Geraghty (harper@wordweb.com) wrote:

> Obscanning: I have yet to try printing at A3, but do those who have printed
> at A3 from 2700dpi scans find the scanning resolution adequate?

Back to back comparisons here between A4 1200 prints of 2700 & 4000ppi scans of
the same Astia image show a slight fudging of fine detail in the 2700 print.
Viewed alone, it's fine, but once you have noticed the slightly 'vaseline'
effect of lower sampling res, it's hard to overlook if you are being picky.
However I didn't notice until I did the comparison :)

A3 will make this rather more noticeable, but TBH there are very few 35mm
images which really benefit from that sort of size unless they will be viewed
from at least 3'.

> I was intrigued
> (and a little depressed) to read Tony's recent comment that the aliasing
> at 4000dpi was much less than at 2700dpi.

All I meant is that 4000ppi seems to greatly reduce the sensitivity to film
grain which causes this intractable problem. It's just one less thing to have
to worry about.

If you stick to films which don't excite grain aliasing problems (Astia,
Provia, KR64, Reala - none gave me any trouble with an LS1000, and I'm sure
there are many others), a 2700ppi unit won't give grain aliasing. Problem
solved ;)

> I'll bite the bullet in the next
> few days and actually try an A3 print.

Definitely the best idea :-)