RE: filmscanners: OT more copyright questions

Tony,
can't speak for the UK or for Europe for that matter; but in the US, some
artwork is considered to be in the public domain because they are historic
artifacts which were created prior to any copyright laws or under older
copyright laws which had time limitations on ownership of the copyright
which is now exceeded or because they were commissioned by the government
and are now considered public property under work for hire arrangements.
Similar sorts of things might also apply in the UK and Europe.

> Even an editorial portrait of a person photographed with part of a
painting or
>sculpture in-frame can be regarded as an actionable infringement of
copyright

In the US, this would be determined by the discretion of the courts on a
case by case basis.  The key variable in the US courts is how significant or
crucial a role that portion of the painting or sculpture plays in the image
or portrait.  If it is a negligible role or of no significance, it would not
matter if it were readily recognizable or not; and it would be highly
unlikely that there would be an actionable case worth pursuing. It is even
less actionable if the use is editorial.