Re: filmscanners: Grain in Color negative Film

Bob: I am replying to you on list since the topic is germane to scanning and we
need something besides a flame war that may be developing... My opinion is
anything but expert since my hands on knowledge of the wide universe of
presently available films is limited to just a few types (Reala, Fuji NPS and
NPL, Velvia, Kodachrome, Ilford XP 2 and Delta 100) The reason I use Reala is
that it has a built in filtration layer to counter the effects of flourescent
lights and is an excellent film to use when shooting under mixed (tungsten,
flourescent, daylight) conditions without filters. It is also, AFAIK, the
finest grained of Fuji's family of 35mm films... someone posted a link to a
comparison table of color neg films that seemed top bear this out, plus showed
that it scored higher that all of Kodak's emulsions except for the Royal Gold
25...  As far as a comparison with transparencies, I can't say... I used to
shoot Kodachrome exclusively ( I was  Jay Maisel acolyte for years) for its
fine grain when you enlarged to high magniifications... I have blown up Reala
negs to 20 x 24 and they hold up very well... as long as shot on a tripod... I
understand Velvia holds up beautifully... again, I think the lab plays a
part... theoretically, the processes are the same, but I think that different
labs use chemistry from different manufacturers, not mention how anal one lab
may be in comparison to another when it comes to Q.C. When I ran a B/W custom
lab, we learned that the PhotoFlo dilution was the key to getting strreak and
dust free negs... not the dilution that Kodak recommended, but a different
one... I think the better these scanners get, the more we'll all be paying
attention to the film and processing we use....

Mike Moore

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.