Re: filmscanners: Vuescan sharpening ( reflection on sharpening in general)

No flames here... But, every book I've read on working with PhotoShop (and I
have more invested in books than I care to think about) states that the
application of sharpening (actually Unsharp Mask in PShop) should be the last
thing you do before printing the image on the inkjet or whatever printer you
use... If I  going to send the PSD or TIFF or JPEG to a regular printer (as in
newspaper or magazine), I never sharpen or Unsharp Mask the image... I make sure
the graphics person or printer knows it is not sharpened, as they generally
apply some sharpening as a matter of course on all the images they print... Try
an experiment and see what happens to your image if you sharpen it right after
scanning, then later after doing your corrections... I guarantee the results
will not be a pro quality image...

M. Moore

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is not really about sharpening in vuescan, but a reflection on
> sharpening in general.
>
> 1) Sharpening should be done before retouching the image, because sharpening
> causes many details to show up which have to be retouched.
>
> 2) Scanning itself introduces some unsharpness, I think it may be reasonable
> to apply some sharpening early in the process to compensate for this.
>
> Looking forwards to comments, but please no flame war :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Erik Kaffehr
> On Sunday 18 March 2001 14:44, you wrote:
> > It's generally advised that sharpening should be the final step on a
> > file before printing or publication, but Vuescan, like most scanning
> > software, has a sharpen filter.
> >
> > Since I always end up doing some work in Photoshop I never use
> > sharpen filters in scanning software. However, I'm curious: just how
> > much "damage" does the Vuescan filter do to the image? Since the
> > amount is fixed, I assume the effect is less noticeable on larger
> > files.
> >
> > Jeremy Nicholl
>
> --
> Erik Kaffehr                erik.kaffehr@swipnet.se alt. ekr@ksu.se
> Mariebergsvägen 53          +46 155 219338 (home)
> S-611 66 Nyköping           +46 155 263515 (office)
> Sweden                      -- Message sent using 100% recycled electrons --

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.